Thursday, March 26, 2009

10,11..the grind

Today I found out how much of a grind this work out is. I didn’t get to work out until early afternoon. I also didn’t have any pre-workout drink. So immediately wasn’t feeling into it, I started with dead lifts. My warm up felt really heavy, I know that I’ve said that a few times in my blog, however my warm ups usually don’t feel heavy. Anyway, I worked up to 374. I wasn’t pulling good sumo so I put on some straps and pulled conventional. This made it feel a lot easier, so I go back to the question of whether or not I should pull sumo or conventional. I paired my dead lifts with chin ups. After my pulls I did some Bulgarian squats, why wouldn’t I have Bulgarian squats in the Bulgarian burst. Then I did dumbbell RDLs. Everything today was 5x6. My back tightened up really bad during my first work out, so after I was done I did a glute ham hang and then got hooked up to the Russian stem. There is a lot of real good information on electro-stim in my favorite book Supertraining, by Mel Siff.

My second work out started with safety squats. I use a cambered bar that I can really load up, I used 480 for 5x6, then I did Nordic ham curls paired with real heavy one arm dumbbell rows. I really enjoy dumbbell rows, especially using heavy loads. I used 140s, which was way to much weight if I needed to keep perfect form, but I am a firm believer of training the movement not the muscle. After my Nordic ham curls and rows I did piston squats. Just not feeling it today.

I didn’t get my 3rd work out in today. I’m just drained, this work out is a real grind. I do feel bad about not getting it in, but I’m sure that I’m producing enough stress on my body that I’ll supercompensate. So that’s all for today, I’m off to a relaxing Epsom Salt Bath.


Stay Strong
Tommy

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tommaroo!!! I am so impressed by your blogging and how hard you are working and how articulate you are in explaining your training routine. WOWIE ZOWIE! You're working hard, but you make it sound like you're so into it that maybe it's not really work....for you that is! I would be exhausted because I'm not into the weight training scene. I think I could beat you at running up and down the basketball court and having good mechanics and excellent judgement in officiating!! LOL So there...too! This is your friend Jenni Malsam and I'm borrowing your mom's facebook page to contact you. I just had to comment about your blog. It really is awesome! We are leaving on our little weekend trip together tomorrow. We're going to Paris...aurevouire....we think that's "goodbye" in French...but we're not too sure about that. So how about Aloha...that means hello AND goodbye you know! And I haven't even been to Hawaii and I still know that! Your mom and I are cracking up here because WE think we're so FUNNY!!! Bye Tom!! From Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy stuff here buddy!

    Nice to chat on Friday too--great ideas.

    What I have found (based on conversations with Frankie Faires and some Z Health thoughts) is that some days trap bar DLs go well for me, some days conventional DLs are better and even rack pulls some days (I am one of the rare weirdos who has a rack pull LESS than off the floor).

    I've found that this correlates quite well to my movement quality--better movement should = a better exercise for you on that day. If you drag a leg after sumo DLs that may not be the best exercise for YOU on THAT day.

    Thoughts?
    Rock on
    Mike N

    ReplyDelete